A Mediterranean favorite ~ Quinoa Tabouli
A gluten free, protein packed approach to one of my favorite Mediterranean salads. This Quinoa Tabouli salad is a great addition to any weekend cookout and works great as a light lunch time meal.
Quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) is gluten-free grain that is high in protein and considered to be a complete protein making it an excellent vegetarian dish. It is also high in fiber, magnesium, B-vitamins, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin E and various beneficial antioxidants.
If Quinoa isn’t your thing, and you aren’t concerned with gluten you can make this recipe with the traditional ingredient bulgur.
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 3 cups Fresh Parsley chopped
- 1 whole Tomato chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Wash quinoa in a fine mesh strainer, draining out any excess liquid. (Quinoa can have a soapy flavor if not washed.)
- Add water and quinoa to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cover. Cook until all liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, chop parsley and tomato and mince garlic. Combine these with olive oil and lemon juice.
- Stir in quinoa and salt and pepper to taste. Allow salad to cool at least 30 minutes or overnight for best results.